Here is a list of essential oils that work on keeping pest away. I have used and recommend the Peppermint for ants and spiders, it works! I have also used Lavender on my dog Strawberry for itch relief from food allergies to insect bites, she really likes Lavender which is a huge plus.
These oils are a whole lot safer than pesticides!
- Ants: Peppermint
- Aphids: Peppermint, Sandalwood, White Fir
- Beetles: Peppermint, Thyme
- Caterpillars: Peppermint
- Chiggers: Lavender, Lemongrass, Thyme
- Cutworm: Thyme
- Fleas: Lavender, Lemongrass, Peppermint
- Flies: Basil, Clove, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary
- Gnats: Patchouli
- Mosquitoes: Lavender, Lemongrass
- Moths: Lavender, Peppermint
- Plant Lice: Peppermint
- Roaches: Eucalyptus
- Slugs: White Fir
- Snails: Patchouli, White Fir
- Spiders: Peppermint
- Ticks: Lavender, Lemongrass, Thyme
- Weevils: Patchouli, Sandalwood
Here are some more tips:
- Bring a spray bottle with Peppermint essential oil to a picnic or other outdoor events to help keep ants away from you and your food.
- A great way to help deter pests is to diffuse essential oils! Just diffuse the essential oil that naturally deters your pest to see if it helps.
- Rub essential oils around your door and window seals for extra protection.
- For more specific insect problems, try mixing 8 ounces of water in a spray bottle with 1/2 teaspoon natural soap and 12 drops of essential oil from the guide above, remembering to shake the bottle frequently to keep the oil mixed with the water.